Brought to you by
ECR 2019 / C-3567
The impact of training diagnostic radiologists to perform basic interventional procedures
Congress: ECR 2019
Poster No.: C-3567
Type: Scientific Exhibit
Keywords: Interventional non-vascular, Management, CT, Ultrasound, Biopsy, Drainage, Education and training, Workforce
Authors: K. Ahmad , E. Hoey, M. Djearaman, A. Ganeshan; Birmingham/UK
DOI:10.26044/ecr2019/C-3567

Results

 

I.)  Procedural Data:

 

Over the 6 month period analysed in 2015 a total of 280 weekday procedures were conducted. 129 (46%) of these were ultrasound guided drainages. 51 (18%) were ultrasound guided biopsies and 43 (15%) were ultrasound guided aspirations. 33 (12%) CT biopsies and the remaining 24 (9%) were CT guided drainages. Median inpatient waiting time was 3 days.

A total of 17 weekend procedures were performed in the 6 month period of 2015, all of which were urgent drainages.

 

 

In 2018, a total of 269 inpatient image guided procedures were conducted. 116 (43%) of these were ultrasound guided drainages. 60 (22%) were ultrasound guided biopsies and 32 (13%) were ultrasound guided aspirations. 36 (13%) CT drainages and the remaining 25 (9%) were CT guided biopsies (Figure 1). Median inpatient waiting time was 1 day.

 

 

Again, a total of 17 weekend image guided procedures were completed in the cited 2018 period.

 

Fig. 1: Breakdown of Relevant Inpatient Weekday Procedures in 2015 and 2018
References: Radiology, Heartlands Hospital - Birmingham/UK

 

II.) Outcome Measures 

 

In 2015, of the total 280 weekday inpatient procedures, 162 (58%) were carried out by diagnostic radiologists. The remaining 118 (42%) were done by interventional radiologists. In 2018, following the completion of the interventional training, 202 (75%) of weekday procedures were performed by diagnostic radiologists resulting in the remaining 25% being completed by interventionalists (Figure 2). Of this 25%, at least 10% were documented to be technically challenging and hence required a more experienced clinician. A 17% reduction in interventional weekday workload was observed from 2015 to 2018 .

 

Fig. 2: Type of Clinician responsible for Interventional Procedure in 2015 and 2018
References: Radiology, Heartlands Hospital - Birmingham/UK

 

In 2015, 14 (82%) of weekend procedures were done by interventionalists, and 18% by diagnostic radiologists. However, in 2018, 3 (18%) of the weekend procedures were completed by interventionalists and 14 (82%) by diagnostic radiologists. Therefore, a 64% drop in weekend interventional workload was seen following the implementation of training (Figure 3).

 

 

Fig. 3: Number of Weekend Interventional Procedures in 2015 and 2018
References: Radiology, Heartlands Hospital - Birmingham/UK

 

Median wait time in 2015 was 3 days, in 2018 this dropped to 1 day due to the increased number of competent staff available to perform IR procedures.

 

Results Summary:

 

Fig. 4: Summary of Results in 2015 and 2018
References: Radiology, Heartlands Hospital - Birmingham/UK

 

 

POSTER ACTIONS Add bookmark Contact presenter Send to a friend Download pdf
SHARE THIS POSTER
2 clicks for more privacy: On the first click the button will be activated and you can then share the poster with a second click.
This website uses cookies. Learn more