Breast, Interventional non-vascular, Ultrasound, Biopsy, Education and training
K. D. Jethwa, S. Closs, E. Giannotti; Nottingham/UK
Findings and procedure details
Equipment Required: a round plastic bowl,
round plastic container,
and a tray.
Ingredients: 500ml hot (not boiling) water,
50g corn flour,
at least 4 sachets of powdered gelatine/vegetarian gel,
10 pitted olives (targets),
raisins/sultanas and food colourant.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Setting Time: 12 hours
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir in the hot water until contents are mixed well.
Whisking may help.
- Randomly stuff each olive with 1-3 raisins/sultanas (different amount of raisins inside the olives will ensure that the targets are distributed throughout the phantom).
- Add the stuffed olives and allow the mixture to rest for approximately 30 minute.
- Decant the contents into a round plastic container lined with cling film and allow to cool and set in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Keep refrigerated until use,
the phantom should fall out easily from the container.
- Place the phantom onto a tray in order to carry out the biopsy.
Disposal: the phantom can be disposed with kitchen waste.
Ultrasound appearances: The background phantom of mixed echogenicity (hypoechogenic gelatine/vegetarian gel and hyperechogenic cornflour to mimic breast tissue).
The phantom itself is white in colour and conceals targets embedder deeper.
Using biopsy practice the phantom is placed on a metal tray which provides a reflective background.