The purpose of the exhibit is to characterize the soft tissue sarcomas based on imaging findings.
To know the anatomical extension of the lesion and rare varieties of soft tissue sarcomas.
To arrive at reasonable differentials and correlation with histopathological diagnosis.
How imaging findings help in pre and post operative management.
Soft tissue sarcomas arise from wide spectrum of tissues.
Gastrointestinal stromal tumor
Nerve sheath tumor.
Tumor of uncertain differentiation.
Soft tissue sarcomas spread within compartments and along fascial planes on a path of least resistance.
Most commonly soft tissue sarcomas occur in extremities.
and histological subtype are very important in risk stratification and prognosis.
Findings and procedure details
• Multimodality approach is needed for diagnostic evaluation of soft tissue sarcomas.
• CT and MRI play an important role in characterization of masses,
extension and involvement of adjacent structures.
• PET CT plays a crucial role for detection of early metastasis,
follow up and prognosis.
• Histopathology is very important to characterize the subtypes,
since different subtypes have varied prognosis and treatment strategies.
Case 1: 48 years,
FDG PET CT:
• Large heterogeneous mass lesion in the lower presternal...
• Soft tissue sarcomas are heterogeneous group which can arise from any type of tissue.
Imaging with histological diagnosis plays a crucial role in detecting,
surgical planning and monitoring response to therapy.
Fellow in Oncoradiology
Shivakumar swamy shivalingappa,
Mahesh Ashok kumar,
Sudhakar Sampangi DMRD
Kumar G Kallur
1) Akshay D.
Sree Harsha Tirumani,
and Carolyn L.
Americal Journal of roentgenology 2016 206:5,