EuroSafe Imaging 2020
Action 6 - Clinical audit tool for imaging, Radiation physics, Radioprotection / Radiation dose, CT, Digital radiography, Education, Safety, Quality assurance, Not applicable
N. Mahmood, C. Law, R. Curcio, M. Hierath, A. Brady, A. G. Rockall, G. Frija, L. Bonomo, D. Howlett
Conclusion and recommendations
- 43 radiology departments responded (28 EU, 15 outside the EU), belonging to 16/48 National Societies.
- 51% reported actively engaging in clinical audit but only 25% felt they had the resources to allow compliance with EU-BSSD.
- Only 58% of respondents are familiar with the Esperanto audit guide. Most departments who were familiar with the guide rated it positive/very positive in terms of clinical utility, range of topics and accessibility.
- 62.8% (27/43 departments) participated in National Programmes.
- The majority of departments would be prepared to participate in pan-European surveys coordinated by the ESR but 47% admitted needing additional support in order to do so effectively.
There is potential for larger bodies e.g ESR to co-ordinate audit on a pan-European scale, however resource allocation in local and national audit infrastructure is needed. Although this survey reflects a small number of responding departments, these findings support those of the previous ESR survey, which indicate that in many countries, communication and feedback mechanisms between societies and departments are underdeveloped.