EuroSafe Imaging 2020
Performed at one institution, Observational, Retrospective, Embolism / Thrombosis, Audit and standards, CT-Angiography, Conventional radiography, Pulmonary vessels, Lung, Emergency, Action 1 - Guidelines, implementation policies, and Clinical Decision Support (ESR iGuide)
M. Al-Mahtot, N. McCarville, A. Tighilt, K. Luckyram, D. Hakim, P. Bamania
Description of activity and work performed
Our aims in this project were to investigate:
1. Are chest x-rays being performed prior to CTPA scans in patients with suspected PE?
2. Is the Wells score provided on CTPA requests?
3. Is the d-dimer value provided on CTPA requests?
4. Of the patients with CTPA scans that are positive for PE, how many had chest x-rays with abnormal findings?
5. Of the patients with CTPA scans that are positive for PE, how many had positive Wells scores?
Using the CRIS system, we retrospectively identified all patients who had undergone a CTPA scan at our trust, from the 1st June 2019 to 30th September 2019. For this cohort of patients, we documented whether a chest x-ray had been performed prior to CTPA and whether a Wells score and/or d-dimer was noted in the CTPA scan request form. We also recorded any abnormal findings from these chest x-rays. Additionally, we documented whether there were positive findings for PE on the CTPA report for each of the patients, respectively.