Obstruction / Occlusion, Calcifications / Calculi, Screening, Audit and standards, CT, Urinary Tract / Bladder
K. M. B. Mohd Amin1, J. Graham2; 1Wellington/NZ, 2Palmerston North/NZ
246 patients were identified to have met the inclusion criteria: 38% of the patients were female and 62% were male.
The mean age was 49 years (range, 15 – 89 years).
136 patients were positive for urolithiasis (55.3%) and 100/136 (73.5%) cases were accompanied by hydronephrosis.
The positive rate is higher in males (65.4%) compared to females (38.7%) with a statistically significant difference between gender, p < 0.001. No statistically significant association is identified between age and positive diagnosis.
For patients with diagnostic yield of urolithiasis, urological interventions were necessary for 29 (21.3%) cases, while the other 107 (78.7%) cases were managed conservatively. Mean calculus size in these groups were 8.6mm and 3.9mm respectively, p < 0.001.
10% (25 patients) of the patients included in the study had significant alternative diagnoses, including:
- Advanced bladder TCC
- Renal cell carcinoma
- Duodenal perforation with retroperitoneal heamatoma
- Multiple liver abscess
- Renal transplant haematoma from arteriovenous fistula
- Acute pancreatitis
- PID and tuboovarian abscess
The rate of equivocal results was 2.4%, comparable to other studies.