Subsequently the wounded were brought from Volo and Thessalonica to Istanbul by steamers hired by the Ottoman Red Crescent. The Temporary Yildiz Military HospitalBy the end of the 19th century, Sultan Abdulhamid II had had five ambulant wards built on his own account in the vicinity of the Yildiz Palace to serve for the casualties of clashes at the Turkish-Greek border, for the Palace guards and for the soldiers of the 2nd Army unit in the neighbourhood (1866). This hospital called later as the Yildiz Temporary Military Hospital upon imperial order, was renewed by wooden transportable sheds in Duquer system imported from Germany, which could be set up and dismantled in 10 hours (
Fig.: Figure 6: Dr. Küttner’s letter to the Ottoman Sultan expressing his satisfaction and admiration at the discharge organisation of military troops arriving in Istanbul from the front by train on May 25th, 1897.