A. Tunaci, N. Yildirim, Y. I. Ulman, E. Yekeler, H. Genchellac, M. Tunaci, G. Acunas; Istanbul/TR
The German Red Cross medical delegation had not arrived in Istanbul yet, when Dr. Salih Bey, Esat Feyzi and Rfat Osman succeeded in detecting the bullet and shrapnel pieces by X-rays in the bodies of three soldiers on May 1st, 1897. Owing to the guidance of those radiographic images captured by them at Yildiz Temporary Military Hospital by means of the roentgen apparatus they established themselves, the three soldiers were operated successfully by Dr. Cemil Pasha. The roentgen apparatus brought by the British to Greece, reached Pire Harbour on May 13th, 1897; and radiographic images started to be taken at the hospital in Phalerum (Athens) around the middle of June 1897. Archival records and sources belonging to the period prove that the first radiographic images of the war casualties had been taken by the Turkish team led by Dr. Salih Bey. They were followed by German physicians belonging to the Red Cross delegation who came to Turkey with the roentgen apparatus and medical equipment. English doctors started to take radiological images in Greece later on, in the midst of June 1897. The Temporary Yildiz Military hospital in which the first radiographic images were taken during the Turkish-Greek war was not a permanent hospital as our Greek colleagues claimed. As understood from its name it was a hospital consisting of transportable, movable sheds. Yet, the Gmssuyu Military Hospital, in which some of the wounded had been treated was a stationary hospital. Although the Temporary Yildiz Military Hospital was abolished in 1923, Gmssuyu Military Hospital has still been running today. Dr. Abbot, wrote that the wounded Greek soldiers could reach the hospital on foot or by horse to hospital at Phalerum which was 48 hours far from the battlefield, even without dressing and often infected. The Turkish wounded after getting first aid at the front were being taken from Thessalonica first by train and then by steamer to Istanbul almost at the same time. After the war the hospital at Phalerum was closed and the roentgen apparatus was transferred to the hospital at Patras was never used again due to financial reasons. But roentgen procedures continued at the Temporary Yildiz military Hospital. Furthermore, Dr. Esat Feyzi who was assigned as physics assistant after graduation, wrote articles on roentgen rays and afterwards a detailed book called Rntgen ut ve Tatbikat- Tbbiye ve Cerrahiyesi (Roentgen rays and its medical and surgical applications). He persuaded the inclusion of the roentgen rays in Imperial Medical Schools official program. Owing to the support of Opr. Dr. Cemil Pasha he led the way to the inauguration of a roentgen laboratory in the surgery clinic and took over its management. The original references of the period state that the radiographic images of the wounded Greek soldiers were taken by the English medical team. There are no records about Greek doctors participating in those capturing procedures. The situation was totally different at the Ottoman side. When the German Red Cross Delegation came to Yildiz Temporary Military Hospital there had been a roentgen apparatus already functioning. The radiographic imaging efforts initiated by the Turkish doctors continued with the roentgen apparatus brought by the German team. As a matter of fact, on the wounded soldiers from at the Ethiopian campaign in Africa, Italian doctor Lieuteant Colonel Guiseppe Alvaro experimented X-rays surgically in Italy, but on the limited number of cases in May 1896.