Workforce, Education and training, Education, CT, Thorax, Professional issues, Cardiac
M. Arzanauskaite1, E. Terrazas2, E. Estades3, F. Vernuccio4; 1Liverpool/UK, 2Distrito federal/MX, 3Wilmington/US, 4Palermo/IT
Inadequate involvement of radiology residents in research during core training has been reported in Europe and North America [1,2],
and approximately 41% of radiology residents are not satisfied with the research opportunities available to them .
The involvement in research of radiology trainees in Europe is approximately 39% ,
and the rate of publications authored by radiology trainees can be as low as 19% .
This inadequate involvement of radiology trainees in academic activities may result in lower department research productivity ,
and in decreased interest in continuing an academic career after completion of training .
Main perceptive barriers to research during radiology training have been investigated in Canada .
To identify barriers to academic practice (research and teaching) during the core training of radiology trainees with an interest in thoracic and cardiovascular imaging.
We thank the participants of the Introduction to Research for International Young Academics (IRIYA) 2017 workshop who helped with the distribution of the survey: Dr Joanna Marie Choa,
Dr Ashlesha Udare,
Dr Dina Haroun,
Dr Sevcan Turk,
Dr Maria Mercedes Serra,
Dr Jae Seok Bae and Dr Bayarbaatar Bold.
We thank Radiopaedia Twitter managers and the radiology societies who agreed to help with survey distribution by the time of poster submission (listed in alphabetical order):
- American Institute of Radiologic Pathology
- Delaware Society of Radiology
- Egyptian Society of Radiology and Nuclear Medicine
- European Trainee Forum for Interventional Radiology
- European Society of Cardiovascular Radiology
- European Society of Oncologic Imaging
- European Society of Thoracic Imaging
- French Society of Radiology
- Italian Society of Medical Radiology
- Korean Society of Radiology
- Lithuanian Association of Radiologists
- Mexican Society of Radiology
- Turkish Society of Radiology
- Young Radiologist Section of the Belgian Society of Radiology